Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years

This weekend we remember the events that took place ten years ago on September 11, 2001.  Like many I find myself reflecting on these tragedies and where we are.  We stop and remember where we were, what we were doing and how we felt.  I am sure for many who are older than I am, you have these same sentiments over other major events....John Kennedy's assassination, Martin Luther King Jr's death or even Pearl Harbor....well really depending on your age for that. 

For my life and my age, I am only 28, this has really been one of the biggest things I have ever experienced.  And especially at an age that I was aware of what was going on and the potential ramifications for my life. 

Ten years ago I was living in an apartment on Lincoln Street with Angie and Erin.  I was a freshman in college up getting ready for class.  Erin called me out to the living room to see what was happening.  If I remember correctly I got out there and realized what was happening just in time for the second plane to hit.  It was a scary and uncertain day.  I remember wondering exactly what this meant for us as a country.  I cried for the people who lost their lives; I cried for their families.

Ten years later looking at pictures, I still cry.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  Yet it wasn't.  It was ten years.  In ten years, I started dating Ryan, we got married, I got pregnant and had Arabelle, survived having my first newborn, got pregnant again and had Lincoln.  So much has changed and so much time has passed.  I look at those images and wonder how I can explain 9/11 to my children.  I think what has saved us from having to figure this out this year is that we don't have cable or satellite.  We have Netflix and that's it.  So no September 11th specials in our house, not this year anyways. If we did, I am confident we would be searching for the words to explain to Arabelle what happened.  Trying to find the good in a horrible situation, reminding  her of God's love and protection.  For now though I think we are good for another year.  She can remain innocent of some of life's horrors for a little while longer. 

In the meantime, I pray she and Lincoln never face a day like September 11th.  I pray they never face that uncertainty.  Mostly though when I am realistic, I pray that they will turn to God in that time that will inevitably come.  I pray they place their hope in God and seek him above all else, even when it seems the world has suddenly stopped turning for a moment. 

Love you bloggies, be comforted today.


0 comments:

Post a Comment